Friday 18 October 2013

New Proposal

    After looking into children’s books I have decided to not write my own story but retell fairy tales that already exist. But I didn’t want to do the stories that are very popular such as Snow White or Beauty and the Beast as I thought these stories have been done too much and putting my own mark on them will be very hard as when you say the name people tend to think of the retelling by Disney. So after researching into children’s books I found that different countries have different ways of telling stories; but then I struggled to find a recent book that had collected stories from around the world and put them all together in a book. So I thought I would find fairytales and folk laws from around the world and illustrated them into a series or treasury so that children can enjoy stories from other cultures. I believe that now days with our mixed cultures children don't understand about how diversity is a good thing and not something that should be made fun of. I want children to read this book and take interest cultures and enjoy stories they wont have heard of. 
   But I didn’t want the stories to be any stories; I wanted to find tales that had a strong female character or characters. As most children think of the prince saving the princess I wanted to show the other side where the female is a strong character, however saying that I wouldn’t like to dismiss the idea of the prince saving the princess as the princess can be a dominate charter in this, just not every version of the tale may show it. Though I will have to make sure I am not using stories that only girls will like as I would like boys to read this too. To do this I will have to carefully choose my stories so that the female characters are strong and or that there is another character that they can identify with and like hopefully meaning there not to bothered that the story is based around a princess. I will be aiming the book at children aged 9-12 years.  


Time plan

My time plan shows how I plan out every week so that I will ensure everything gets done. I have created contingency weeks just in case I a ill or I decided I need longer to ensure the work is done to a high standard. My plan may change as I have only gone up till Christmas but I will be repeating part of the plan for each story.  

No comments:

Post a Comment