Tuesday 22 October 2013

Observational drawings

  Since my stories will contains diverse cultures and ethnicities I want to make sure I represent them positively and correctly. To do this I feel I need to do life drawings of all kinds of people from old to young and study there features. I want my book to show children that diversity is good and not to be judged, to do this I will need to make sure I don’t stereotype and an stick to the traditions of the culture.

   Figure 1 and 2 show some observational drawings I did while sitting in a restraints window, I spent about 1 hour sitting there studying people walking by.

Figure 1
Figure 2

  I found that I couldn’t get all the details I wanted while observing moving people so I decided to set up life drawing sessions additionally to help my figure drawing skills. I usually avoid drawing muscular men so for the first sessions we found a friend who was willing to pose for us for an hour. While in the session I thought of poses that could be useful reference for when I illustrate my stories. (Figures 3-6)

Figure 3

Figure 4

Figure 5

Figure 6
   Last week we decided to use ourselves as models, this helps me get a range of drawings of different people. This session got cut short and lasted about 45 minutes. (figure 7 and 8)

Figure 7
Figure 8

Figure 9
Figure 10
  Figure 9 is of a pose I need for one of my pages as I wanted to make sure I had the pose as natural as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment