Sunday 20 October 2013

More artists

Chelsea Douglas - Concept Artist

 Chelsea Douglas works as a concept artist and recently worked on Bioshock Infinite where I first saw her work. She worked on character design for Elizabeth, after studying her designs I found to create a believable character you must first know that character inside out, every emotion how they walk and how they talk. Figure 1 and 2 shows Chelsea’s development of Elizabeth.

-The art of Bioshock Infinite Elizabeth Concept design
Figure 1
-The art of Bioshock Infinite Elizabeth concept design
Figure 2

I feel that her characters have a life and I want all my characters to be as believable and loveable as Elizabeth. 

Victoria Ying

Victoria Ying is mixed artist with her work changing from digital to traditional depending on the piece. I personally like the use of colour in her work, it seems very carefully chosen and designed and I think my work lacks the control of colour. I feel the colour really adds to the emotion in the image for example in figure 3 of snow white the pink kimono she is wearing givers her character a sense of innocence and beauty. This probably came along from developing the character to the point where you can use colour to indicate a personality.
- Victoria Ying, Snow White Gathering Flowers 2013
Figure 3 

Her work also has a very strong sense of narrative, the layout of her images suggest so much more is happening behind the scene. I need to make sure when composing my images I reign in my use of colour and make it more meaningful and sophisticated, I also want to not just have my images stating the text but suggesting more.
- Victoria Ying, Tangled fine art piece 2011
Figure 4 
- Victoria Ying, Fairy and Water Droplette 2012
Figure 5


No comments:

Post a Comment