Friday 9 May 2014

Designing Atalanta

When looking into this story I wasn't quite sure what to with the style of cut but after looking into the culture I found a large part of the art back then was pottery art. And I found it interesting how they told stories across massive or small vases that were hand painted and very decorative. I thought this would be a great way to tell the story in the style of Black figure pottery, witch I had done some research into when working on my research project. So I looked at the style and how the overall feel was, images on Pinterest.
An image from a female stock image book depicting a female Greek.
After that I went onto designing Atalanta, I wanted her to be strong as she was depicted in the story, I tried to make her toned thin as she would have some muscle from hunting and running. I wanted her to be a female but have tomboy features like the battle scars she proudly shows on the top of her arm.




Observational drawings of archers and boars.




Creating the black figure look.
 I wanted to base the style as much as possible off the pottery so used the colour pallet they would have worked with at the time. I found this a lot different to the way I usually work and think it works quite well.


layouts
Page 1 layouts

Page 2 layouts

Vase observational and final page layouts

Final layouts


No comments:

Post a Comment